Lingering over the things that matter
Hi, I’m Julie.
Over the last two years the themes for the Longest Lutheran Lunch have been based around the idea of Sharing the Gifts of Hospitality and Service. The Longest Lutheran Lunch is about both of those things, but it is also about relationships and sharing the grace and goodness we have in Jesus, with those around us.
Spending mealtimes together is challenging in our busy, over-scheduled routines, but when we gather together to linger over a meal, we have an opportunity to connect, to share lives, laughter and the things that matter. God intended for us to be in relationship with one another. When we make others a priority and take the time to connect with one another, he can use us to bring his love and blessings to life.
In 2017 Christians around the world are commemorating the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. As a community of believers, what better opportunity to build connections and relationships with the people in our lives by inviting them to linger over a long lunch – on Sunday 29 October (the closest Sunday to Reformation Day, 31 October).
More than 100 congregations across Australia and New Zealand have been involved in this event annually since its inception, touching thousands of lives through their creative and generous lunch events.
If you’ve participated previously, we encourage you to be involved again. If your congregation hasn’t yet been involved, we invite you to be part of 2017’s Longest Lutheran Lunch and host a long lunch. If the date doesn’t suit, you are welcome to hold your event on a date or at a time that suits you better.
Here’s what you need to do
- Plan what you will do for your Longest Lutheran Lunch event. Check out our new 2017 lunch ideas – and there are plenty more in our 2016 store.
- Take a look at Promotion & Planning page to see how we can support you with resources and ideas
- Register your event here.
- Keep following us on this website Facebook and Instagram for regular updates and encouragement as we get ready for our Longest Lutheran Lunches.
- Pray about who you will invite and that you will all be inspired with a heart to share hospitality, service and relationship with others.
- Personally invite those people God places on your heart.
- Prepare for your day so it will be memorable and enjoyable for all who come.
Julie Slaghekke – your Longest Lutheran Lunch coordinator